My work focuses on human pair-bonding and the effects of personality dimensions and relationship-context on cognition and behavior. In recent years, I have expanded this work by using neuroimaging, gene mapping, and virtual reality techniques. I explored associations between attachment style and cognitive performance, sexual motivation and behavior, mating strategies, and caregiving behavior. Before coming to the University of Kansas, I taught and conducted postdoctoral research at the University of California, Davis. I hold a BA in Psychology from Haifa University in Israel and a PhD in Philosophy from Bar-Ilan University in Israel.
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Evolution and Genetics
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Internet and Virtual Psychology
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Political Psychology
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Gillath, O., Adams, G. E., & Kunkel, A. D. (Eds.). (2012). New directions in close relationships: Integrating across disciplines and theoretical approaches. Washington D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Collins, T. J., & Gillath, O. (2012). Attachment, Breakup Strategies, and Associated Outcomes: The Effects of Security Enhancement on the Selection of Breakup Strategies. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 210-222.
- Edelstein, R. S., & Gillath, O. (2008). Avoiding interference: Adult attachment and emotional processing biases. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 171-181.
- Gillath, O., Bahns, A. J., Ge, F., & Crandall, C. S., (2012). Shoes as a source of first impressions. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 423-430.
- Gillath, O., Bunge, S. A., Shaver P. R., Wendelken, C., & Mikulincer, M. (2005). Attachment-style differences in the ability to suppress negative thoughts: Exploring the neural correlates. Neuroimage (Special Issue - Social Cognitive Neuroscience), 28, 835-847.
- Gillath, O., & Canterberry, M. (2012). Neural correlates of exposure to subliminal and supraliminal sexual cues. SCAN, 65, 1-13.
- Gillath, O., & Hart, J. J. (2010). The effects of psychological security and insecurity on political attitudes and leadership preferences, 40(1), 122-134.
- Gillath, O., Hart, J. J., Noftle, E. E., & Stockdale G. D. (2009). Development and validation of state adult attachment measure, 43(3), 362-373.
- Gillath, O., Landau, M. J., Selcuk, E., & Goldenberg, J. L. (2011). Effects of death salience and participant sex on cognitive, physiological, and behavioral responses to sexual stimuli. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 1219-1224.
- Gillath, O., McCall, C., Shaver, P. R., & Blascovich, J. (2008). What can virtual reality teach us about prosocial tendencies in real and virtual environments? Media Psychology, 11, 259-282.
- Gillath, O., Mikulincer, M., Birnbaum, G., & Shaver, P. R. (2008). When sex primes love: Subliminal sexual priming motivates relational goal pursuit. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 1057-1069.
- Gillath, O., Mikulincer, M., Birnbaum, G., & Shaver, P. R. (2007). Does subliminal exposure to sexual stimuli have the same effects on men and women? Journal of Sex Research, 44, 1-11.
- Gillath, O. Mikulincer, M., Fitzsimons, G. M., Shaver, P. R., Schachner, D. A., & Bargh, J. A. (2006). Automatic Activation of Attachment-Related Goals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 1375-1388.
- Gillath, O., Selcuk, E., & Shaver, P. R. (2008). Moving toward a secure attachment style: Can repeated security priming help? Social and Personality Psychology Compass 2/4, 1651-1666.
- Gillath, O., Sesko, A. K., Shaver, P. R., & Chun, S. D. (2010). Attachment, authenticity, and honesty: Dispositional and experimentally induced security can reduce self- and other-deception. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98, 841-855.
- Gillath, O., & Shaver, P. R. (2007). Effects of attachment style and relationship context on selection among relational strategies. Journal of Research in Personality, 41, 968-976.
- Gillath, O., Shaver, P. R., Baek J. M., & Chun, S. D. (2008). Genetic correlates of adult attachment style. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 1396-1405.
- Gillath, O., Shaver, P. R., Mikulincer, M., Nitzberg, R. E., Erez, A., & van IJzendoorn, M. H. (2005). Attachment, caregiving, and volunteering: Placing volunteerism in an attachment-theoretical framework. Personal Relationships, 12, 425-446.
- Noftle, E. E., & Gillath, O. (2009). Applying lessons from the person-situation debate to attachment theory and research. Journal of Research in Personality, 43(2), 260-261.
- Gillath, O., & Schachner, D. A. (2006). Sex and love: Goals, motives, and strategies: How do sexuality and attachment interact? In M. Mikulincer & G. S. Goodman (Eds.), Dynamics of romantic love: Attachment, caregiving, and sex. New York: Guilford Press.
Department of Psychology
University of Kansas
1415 Jayhawk Boulevard, Room 518
Lawrence, Kansas 66045
- Phone: (785) 864-1772
- Fax: (785) 864-5696